Wednesday, July 15, 2009

When Succeeding Feels Like Failure, Here's Why

Did you ever wonder why people with less smarts than you,
less experience than you, who aren't as good looking as
you, who are a lot younger than you, with less education
than you achieve more, do more, have more, give more, and
enjoy themselves more than you do?

OK, yes, some of them have the brown-nosing thing down
pat, but that only takes a person so far. And it's not
very far, in the big scheme of things.

Allow me to share with you a bit of the puzzle...

The buzz word now in the personal development/self help
field today is 'automatically.' "As in, I'll teach you
about wealth and then money will 'automatically' be
attracted to you" Or "I'll teach you how to eat in a way
that the pounds will 'automatically' fall off you."

Okie dokie.

But does that happen?

Not usually.

Only IF you were to learn and apply whatever is being
sold, indeed, these desired results would automaticaly
happen.

But not just by osmosis.

You see, we buy hundreds of 'how-to' programs for our
research, we subscribe to hundreds of newsletters, and I
know personally hundreds of people from hundreds of
companies that sell them. Good products. Good companies.
Good people.

But I need to tell you straight...

None of it happens automatically.

Primarily because no matter what you know, success at
EVERYTHING takes more than knowledge of what to do.

Because if just knowing WHAT to do guaranteed success,
everyone who graduates from college would be massively
successful, everyone who takes any home-study courses will
be an expert on the topic, psychotherapy would make
everyone feel super fantastic and be done with it in a
month or two.

But none of this is true.

Because belief systems put limits on what you do and what
we can achieve, no matter how intelligent you are.

Attitudes stop you from reaching higher even though the
success you want is within your grasp.

Conflicting emotions can make the easiest decisions and
tasks feel nearly impossible.

Self defeating thoughts just "pop in" at the last second
to wipe out certain victory.

One of the biggest culprits is fear of success.

Why on earth would anyone fear success?

Hundreds of reasons.

Like:

- My family gives me **** about the way I eat, dress, talk
- Friends don't treat me the same anymore
- I have way too many responsibilities now
- I'm forced to work with people I hate
- I "never" get to see my family, friends, etc anymore
- I can't ever eat X food on this plan
- I don't feel right living in this big house, neighborhood
- I'd have to speak in public... no way
- It's too risky
- The pressure of performing/winning will be too great
- Everyone will treat me differently
- I'll be seen as a greedy money-grubber
- I won't like myself if I get everything I want

In fact, we uncovered just a tad under 800 core reasons
that can make success at any venture feel like failure.

There are easily over 3,000 other peripheral/ associated
implications that can be real or conjured up in the mind
relating to the "negatives" about succeeding in the various
areas or roles of life.

And they all make succeeding feel like failing.

Just one, suddenly being different than your friends, is
enough all by itself to keep you from going for some really
juicy goal.

Smokers keep going because their friends do it.

Fat people stay fat because if they would lose the shared
experience of eating with their fat friends.

Leaving our broke friends behind is often the single
biggest reason for keeping our own financial situation just
the way it is.

All these "fear of success" failure patterns play out in
every single area of life.

That means that it's devastating.

Fear of success, whatever caused it and keeps it alive in
your mind is easily one of the most common and most
detrimental of all the reasons why people don't become more
in their lifetimes.


There is simply no better, faster, easier method for
rising above the limiting invisible, yet very real, beliefs
that keep you from being the person you dreamed about many
years ago.

And if eliminating your limiting automatic responses to
decisions and activities that would bring you more
accomplishment, joy and rewards weren't enough.

Because if growth isn't THE purpose of life, it's right up
there on the list.

No comments:

Embracing Free Will: Navigating Temptation and Choice

I questioned God why I was born without the inclination to sin. His response was clear: the choice to sin or not lies with me. Adam, too, wa...