Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Part 5 Finishing the Race Part 1

Part 5 Finishing the Race  Part 1
Acts 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
Philippians 3:12Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
The Apostle Paul likened our Christian walk as a journey
The prize was not given for finishing first; it was given to all those who finished the race. 
Matthew 24:12And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
13But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
Webster’s dictionary defines endurance as fortitude and the ability to last.
The Apostle Paul lived at the hub of two major cultures, Roman and Greek.
The Roman culture was very brutal, the Arena was the centre of Roman sport and the place where hundreds of martyrs died, gladiators fought one another and wild animals, a thirst for blood characterized the Roman psyche Their Ideals were that of conquest, their sport was that of blood and conquest.
The Greek culture was quite different; Freedom, beauty, and wisdom were the three chief ideals pf the Greeks, and these became the goal of Greek education. According to the ideal, a properly sound spirit can only dwell in a sound body, for the Greeks, beauty and virtue were inseparable. The ideal man was seen as a noble soul with a beautiful body, and so everything beautiful must be good. The whole Greek life of sport served this end or goal. Not to be experienced in gymnastics was considered a disgrace; gymnastics became a state institution regulated by strict laws.
Into that Geek-Roman Mediterranean world the apostles carried the gospel
The Apostle Paul used many parallels and comparisons between these Greek/Roman cultures when teaching about the Kingdom of God; he used the soldier and the athlete to portray spiritual truth in relation ship to the Kingdom of God.
The Greek Gymnasium, The Palaestra, The Acadamy at Athens became a centre for games and contests in fitness and endurance. Paul referred to these games in 1Corinthians Chapter 9.
1 Corinthians 9:24Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
25And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it (in the games) to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
26I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
27But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by anymeans, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
The Race
The Greek races were a high light of the Grecian games, and the athlete who won was given a laurel or wreath sometimes referred to as a crown which was placed upon his head, it was as it were the Victor’s Crown.
James 1:12Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown ( Gk wreath) of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
The race we are is a race which is won by those who finish the course
The danger of being disqualified is real
1 Corinthians 9:25And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
26I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
27But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
Our battle is not with each other it is not with flesh and blood, it is against the powers of darkness. If we fight each other, devour one another with gossip, slander judging one another, being unkind and nasty to one another we will be disqualified.
We are being watched and cheered on in our race be spectators just as they were in those Olympian Games.
Hebrews 12:1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
When Roumania became a kingdom in 1881, the King Charles as there was no crown said: Send to the arsenal and melt an iron crown out of a captured canon, in token that it was won on the field of battle and paid for with blood and lives.
Revelation 2:10Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
2:7He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life,
2:11He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.
2:26And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
21:7He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
The race is not to the swift but to those who endure to the end
Philippians 3:12Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Many Christians will get into heaven but saved as it were by fire, their eternal rewards lost forever, they did not finish the race, they will be disqualified.
1 Corinthians 3:13Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
14If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
Finally the Apostle Paul said this:
Hebrews 12:12Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;
13And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.
14Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
15Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;
God Bless youNeville Johnson © June 2006

No comments:

Embracing Free Will: Navigating Temptation and Choice

I questioned God why I was born without the inclination to sin. His response was clear: the choice to sin or not lies with me. Adam, too, wa...